Windows 98 Second Edition

Comments

• @owenrichmond11 said:
    I tried to use ImgBurn and it said it was an invalid file type

Did you extract the ISO from the archive?

• Why does it say "Windows 98 runs on top of the same 'MS-DOS 7.1'"? MS-DOS 7.1 is an unofficial version, although it does support FAT32 and LFN.

• Because technically speaking it is MS-DOS 7.1. The DOS version API will identify it as such. Microsoft simply did not use that name or offer it as a standalone product. That does not change what it is.

• Using the VMware 98SE download, a Windows 8/10 looking thing appears saying this:

Recovery
    Your PC needs to be repaired
    There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk image.

What is the issue with this? I haven't installed Windows 10 or anything on that. It just happens. Think it's been overwritten.

Here's an image if you are wondering:
    https://ibb.co/mJMojo

• Uh, nothing to do with Windows 98.

• It works now. When the error occurred the download file size was 206 MB instead of the usual one which is around 400 mb.

NOW THAT'S PROOF IT HAPPENED!

• The screen you saw might be because the VHD boots from the Windows 8/10 BootMgr and then it loads Windows 98

• I cannot get sounds to work using the Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full). When installing the drivers for the sound card it asks for the ks.sys file from the CD Rom. How am I to fix this? I burned the .iso file to a blank CD, but that didn't fool it. Should I use the (VMWare download instead, if so... how, please?) Thanks :)

• Got it working! This is great, many thanks!

• @BoardwalkSue said:
    I cannot get sounds to work using the Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full). When installing the drivers for the sound card it asks for the ks.sys file from the CD Rom. How am I to fix this? I burned the .iso file to a blank CD, but that didn't fool it. Should I use the (VMWare download instead, if so... how, please?) Thanks :)

Well I don't think you can at the moment so if there is a skip option that will do it, I don't think you need sound unless you watching something without subtitles.

• @Sabir said:
    Using the VMware 98SE download, a Windows 8/10 looking thing appears saying this:

Recovery
    Your PC needs to be repaired
    There isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk image.

What is the issue with this? I haven't installed Windows 10 or anything on that. It just happens. Think it's been overwritten.

Here's an image if you are wondering:
    https://ibb.co/mJMojo

Well it could be MS-DOS and our new PC's running on NT framework sooo maybe Microsoft Hidden windows 10 in your PC.

• archive.org is a good place to store stuff. It offers the ability add pictures, description, tags and thus making all downloads searchable.

It is not possible for users to directly upload here, the admins will do this. But they have a large list of stuff to do, so no one knows when it's gonna be uploaded.

If admins don't see these posts, it won't be uploaded. To speed things up, you might create an offer in offers section with that link. Then it's definitly on their todo-list.

• @susone said:

the link does not work.

• @ShermanRetroWindowsFan said:

@susone said:

@susone said:
    simpified chinese version of windows 98 [DELETED]

please upload it here

the link does not work.

the person who gave me the link (from betaarchive) says the url was set to expire in 30 days

• @susone said:

@ShermanRetroWindowsFan said:

@susone said:

@susone said:
    simpified chinese version of windows 98 [DELETED]

please upload it here

the link does not work.

the person who gave me the link (from betaarchive) says the url was set to expire in 30 days

oh.

• I have a problem, when installing windows 98 it always fails to install a .dll that is the gui, could you tell me what could I do, please?

• no, forget it, I've already corrected it

• but could I get some iso with drivers for windows 98? and how do I change 256 colors?

• @edgeeak said:
    how do I change 256 colors?

You need to install video drivers before you can change the color depth.

If you're using VirtualBox, use some generic VESA driver. If you're using VMware, install VMware tools. If you're using either real hardware or PCem/86box, download and install drivers for your graphics card.

• @KCompRoom2000 said:

@edgeeak said:

If you're using VirtualBox, use some generic VESA driver. If you're using VMware, install VMware tools. If you're using either real hardware or PCem/86box, download and install drivers for your graphics card.

Likewise above, you'll need to install the drivers if you're using a virtualizer or choose the right graphics card for emulators. QEMU has very poor Cirrus emulation on Windows 98 at colors higher than 256.

• edited September 2018

@BF10 said:

@KCompRoom2000 said:

@edgeeak said:

Likewise above, you'll need to install the drivers if you're using a virtualizer or choose the right graphics card for emulators. QEMU has very poor Cirrus emulation on Windows 98 at colors higher than 256.

yes, but my vm is very corruptive , some system data may be sporadically damaged

• Why is it very corruptible? It shouldn't be so unless
    1. You are using a very bad program
    2. Your OS tends to corrupt your files

• @edgeeak said:
    yes, but my vm is very corruptive , some system data may be sporadically damaged

I have not had problems with VMware, and I've always used it for several tests on that system. It's better than VirtualBox. It gives more stability, even in version 15, still compatible

• When I install from the top OEM (full) I get an error message saying "the SHELL32.DLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:tFileAttributesA." when I dismiss the error, Explorer says it has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Every solution I've found for this involves doing things in file explorer, which I cannot get to because this happens before I even get to the desktop for the first time. What the hell is causing this and how can I fix it?

• @PinkRei said:
    When I install from the top OEM (full) I get an error message saying "the SHELL32.DLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:tFileAttributesA." when I dismiss the error, Explorer says it has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Every solution I've found for this involves doing things in file explorer, which I cannot get to because this happens before I even get to the desktop for the first time. What the hell is causing this and how can I fix it?

Specs? Hopefully it's not on a 2.1gHz or 1024MB RAM or greater since Windows 98 is not meant to handle those specs.

• The 2.1 GHz limit was natively fixed in 98SE. 512 MB is the safe maximum though unless you buy a patch. You can boot with up to 1154 MB although you may need to adjust cache settings in system.ini.

Newer processor architecture (like Ryzen) are apparently starting to struggle with 16-bit code and consequently Windows 9x. You should try using a proper emulator such as PCem on newer hardware.

• Whenever I run setup, A screen saying "Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows." appears. What can I do?

• edited April 2019

@win32 said:
    The 2.1 GHz limit was natively fixed in 98SE. 512 MB is the safe maximum though unless you buy a patch. You can boot with up to 1154 MB although you may need to adjust cache settings in system.ini.

Newer processor architecture (like Ryzen) are apparently starting to struggle with 16-bit code and consequently Windows 9x. You should try using a proper emulator such as PCem on newer hardware.

The problem has been fixed in 2nd gen ryzen processors. 1st gen ryzens has a problem with VME (Virtual 8086 mode enhancements) , VME was a undocumented feature and was implemented with later 486 processors , it wasn't documented until p6 microarchitecture ( pentium pro) came out . VME isn't required since it was undocumented , if Amd knew VME didn't work correctly they shouldn't have enabled the flag in the processor , that tells programs the cpu has the feature.