Desktop/Network Diagrams thread

124

Comments

  • I redid my personal logo for 2017.... then made it my wallpaper.

    1Huq.png
  • edited January 2017
    Screenshot_from_2017_01_07_13_58_14.png

    My desktop on my Ubuntu 16.10 installation.
  • Louie, your image doesn't work. Try fixing its link.

    Also, yourepicfailure, good to see Server 2016 up there when I thought there'd be no point on having it (according to this thread I made). When you said about it being quite extortionate, how much does it cost? Just curious.
  • New wallpaper and start button.

    Untitled.png

    >Bry89
    Pricings are in US Dollar, $50...1 for essentials, which would suffice for most power users, then a jump to $882 for standard. The price then skyrockets to $6.155 for datacenter, which is pointless for home/client use.
  • Pricings are in US Dollar, $50...1 for essentials, which would suffice for most power users, then a jump to $882 for standard. The price then skyrockets to $6.155 for datacenter, which is pointless for home/client use.
    Jesus... all that would cost the equivalent of six Apple Macs :shock: What do you mean by "essentials" though? Would this be the most basic package, a la WinXP Starter Edition? And if so, is this the same one you're using?
  • Essentials has limitations, such as maximum users allowed and maximum devices(not peripherals) allowed to connect. A max of 25 users and 50 devices. So yes, it's the most basic package.
    Microsoft wrote:
    Windows Server Essentials offers a flexible, affordable, and easy-to-use server solution for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. An ideal first server, Windows Server Essentials can also be used as the primary server in a multi-server environment for small businesses. Windows Server 2016 Essentials provides a wide range of new and enhanced features and capabilities for Windows Server Essentials, allowing small businesses to be more productive.

    Standard doesn't have these limitations, which is what I run. The watermark at bottom right shows all.
  • 2017-01-23.png

    New laptop.
  • What'd you get?
  • An X260. I spent about 2 weeks hovering between that an the X1C. In the end ports won.
  • Hmmm, didn't know the X260 was a thing. I'm still rocking an X240 with an X250 touchpad. Looking at the pictures, I wasn't sure I'd like it with the new keyboard and everything, but this is easily one of the best laptops I've ever owned.
  • They're on X270 now...
  • M0de.png
    Have one of these.

    Yes, I don't have long enough cable so I sit behind three routers. It's terrible because the two don't support IPv6.
  • Why not use a switch? Or get a long enough cable.. it's not that expensive.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Why not use a switch? Or get a long enough cable.. it's not that expensive.
    > Switches aren't available around here. The nearest tech shop is two towns away.
    > I have the longest cables available.

    I don't know the viability of using these devices just as switches. It's probably not possible.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Why not use a switch? Or get a long enough cable.. it's not that expensive.
    > Switches aren't available around here. The nearest tech shop is two towns away.
    > I have the longest cables available.

    I don't know the viability of using these devices just as switches. It's probably not possible.

    Can you not order online? cablesandkits.com and monoprice.com are usually my go-to's for cabling.

    What are you using for the routers? Hopefully you're not NAT'ing at each of those hops... but most routers can be configured to be basically just switches. All you really need to do is just disable DHCP and use the LAN ports. I'd also recommend configuring the internal IP of each router to be on the same subnet (but obviously with unique addresses) that way you can still manage them.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    -snip-

    Can you not order online? cablesandkits.com and monoprice.com are usually my go-to's for cabling.

    What are you using for the routers? Hopefully you're not NAT'ing at each of those hops... but most routers can be configured to be basically just switches. All you really need to do is just disable DHCP and use the LAN ports. I'd also recommend configuring the internal IP of each router to be on the same subnet (but obviously with unique addresses) that way you can still manage them.
    I did that with some extenders or something. Soon.

    Anyway, I really am just NATing. Obviously not an ideal solution but I haven't considered configuring them like you mentioned. Also there's the then second part of IPv6 compatibility, which is the ultimate goal here. Only the Internet-facing router is IPv6-compatible, so would doing it the way of the aforementioned configuration allow that?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    -snip-

    Can you not order online? cablesandkits.com and monoprice.com are usually my go-to's for cabling.

    What are you using for the routers? Hopefully you're not NAT'ing at each of those hops... but most routers can be configured to be basically just switches. All you really need to do is just disable DHCP and use the LAN ports. I'd also recommend configuring the internal IP of each router to be on the same subnet (but obviously with unique addresses) that way you can still manage them.
    I did that with some extenders or something. Soon.

    Anyway, I really am just NATing. Obviously not an ideal solution but I haven't considered configuring them like you mentioned. Also there's the then second part of IPv6 compatibility, which is the ultimate goal here. Only the Internet-facing router is IPv6-compatible, so would doing it the way of the aforementioned configuration allow that?

    If you use those routers as switches, you'll have no problem with IPv6.
  • idk still haven't done the thing yet

    have a continuum

    Enil.png
  • Untitled.png

    I hate film point-and-shoots. Yet again lugging a full slr through the airport isn't a good idea either.
  • Windows 8.1 was the best version of Windows - except they had a server version too - that's the new VM guest. It looks nice.

    jRMxtW6.png
  • Decided to draw out my network by hand since I have way too much time on my hands right now. Also including a screenshot of my W540's desktop.

    Network Diagram

    W540 Screenshot
  • Background done by me, like a couple days ago.
    WmQXgQq.jpg
  • Ok, here's my desktop... yes, i know it's cluttered, but it works, so I ain't changing it... and yes, that's "dragon mania legends" on my taskbar (13th icon on the taskbar...) i've put A LOT of time into that game...

    y4m_ebqeszgwPh2PPe5y215NYYLOgkGliuKmXa8vnvUTviGh1loiFKOlB7fZoP6-ngcSZfQfdB0yu65zUoY1DSIBSC4KE25BAjuVdZZUFRXOEu4-bcI5Cl3EpR0hryO76qMyh0G9IuInCfXnvvZU2ssNLmHeKso5RrhKRgZs5ny6lh84mvAlxNEQFLY00EMb_Fo16IYGLCTHcy3RrTRMwpp5Q?width=1366&height=768&cropmode=none
  • idk still haven't done the thing yet

    have a continuum

    Enil.png

    Nice background kirby.

    Mines kinda boring in comparison, later on i might upload more anime themed ones
    U4OVrk0.jpg
  • gkThCWb.png

    As a vocaloid, Luka is okay.
  • bxDqRw8.jpg

    I know there are white bars, I just used MSPaint and I didn't feel like bothering with cropping because I didn't feel it would be worth my while. This is the desktop on my Thinkpad T530, which I actually prefer using instead of my desktop - but my desktop has a lot of files set up and works so I don't want to just completely move over to my laptop. I just put an SSD into this Thinkpad after purchasing it off ebay and it's been running great since sometime September or October.
Sign In or Register to comment.