Desktop/Network Diagrams thread

Comments

• edited February 2019

One day, a thought came to my mind. "You know what, I wonder what using a mac would be like." Didn't want to splurge what 1 or 2k euro for a mac. So I loaded up mojave on my x230t just for shits and giggles.

Voodoo ps2 tracks way too fast for my liking, even with tracking speed brought down in preferences. I'll need to find a tweak for it. Otherwise pen works fine and with a few more tweaks I'll probably wind up leaving it on the msata.

Kirby, where's your wallpaper from?

• @yourepicfailure said:
    One day, a thought came to my mind. "You know what, I wonder what using a mac would be like." Didn't want to splurge what 1 or 2k euro for a mac. So I loaded up mojave on my x230t just for shits and giggles.

Snip

LOL, I recognize that wallpaper from a post on the Desktop Screenshot Thread over on BetaArchive, Although that desktop is on a Windows platform, and this one is on a MacOS platform.

• edited February 2019

And they're also both posted by me. Just two different computers that's all.

I have a diff background on the windows machine now, but I find it unnecessary to blog about my every background change on every computer I own.

• I know, I was just pointing something out. I actually figured those were two computers.

• edited February 2019

@yourepicfailure said:
    Kirby, where's your wallpaper from?

Created it in GIMP using the official artwork for Atago from Azur Lane.

I have since changed it to a different wallpaper of a similar style. (All my systems' wallpapers are the same.)

• edited February 2019

One thing Windows 10 can do easier than Windows 2000: run in QVGA (320x240) mode. I could do 320x200 but there wasn't enough room for the options on the confirmation dialog to appear.

It would probably serve those Metro fanbois right to have a mobile interface at a mobile resolution.

• but i like modern ui :(

On a less memey note, narm

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Voodoo ps2 tracks way too fast for my liking, even with tracking speed brought down in preferences. I'll need to find a tweak for it. Otherwise pen works fine and with a few more tweaks I'll probably wind up leaving it on the msata.

I have own x230t too and decide to install hackintosh alongside current Windows 10. How could you made pen works, through just installing Wacom pen driver or you have clue from any hacky way?

Also my current dekstop (HD resolution because I'm attaching for second monitor)
    desk.jpg

• Netbook's Windows 7 desktop

Windows XP desktop is coming soon.

• Windows ME VM on VPC2007:

• Windows 2000 on my desktop:

• @nick99nack Did you install all the updates? Including KernelEx?

• @Windows 2000 said:
    @nick99nack Did you install all the updates? Including KernelEx?

I did. Works great for me.

• edited June 2019

A Linux guy installs Windows 2000, and a Windows 2000 guy installs Debian 9.9:

It's much easier to print screen than in any version of Windows. And it uses 285 MB of RAM idle. :love:

I'm keeping LTSC loaded though.

• Unless it automatically puts out a .png in a set destination when you press that print screen button with no other interaction needed, then it's no easier than windows.
    https://i.imgur.com/1a9MlLm.png

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Unless it automatically puts out a .png in a set destination when you press that print screen button with no other interaction needed, then it's no easier than windows.
    https://i.imgur.com/1a9MlLm.png

I'm not sure about straight Debian, but that is the default behavior of Ubuntu. Pressing the print screen key just dumps it into the Pictures folder.

• Debian automatically opens up a dialog which lets you save a png to a set destination. I don't have to go to start > accessories > paint then paste then save as a bmp/png.

• @win32 said:
    Debian automatically opens up a dialog which lets you save a png to a set destination. I don't have to go to start > accessories > paint then paste then save as a bmp/png.

In Windows, you can use winkey + print screen button to save it as a file directly without having to paste it. Also, there’s snip and sketch accessible through winkey + shift + s.

You can also configure it to launch with the print screen button on its own through the accessibility settings app.

• @BlueSun said:

@win32 said:
    Debian automatically opens up a dialog which lets you save a png to a set destination. I don't have to go to start > accessories > paint then paste then save as a bmp/png.

In Windows, you can use winkey + print screen button to save it as a file directly without having to paste it. Also, there’s snip and sketch accessible through winkey + shift + s.

You can also configure it to launch with the print screen button on its own through the accessibility settings app.

What version? It didn't work on this machine (Vista).

• @nick99nack said:
    What version? It didn't work on this machine (Vista).

Windows 10. Tested on 1809 LTSC. But I think it's been around a while. I believe the winkey + print screen thing worked on 8.1 as well, but I don't have a install handy to test.

• Just confirmed that it works on 8.1.

• edited June 2019

@Windows 2000 said:
    Windows ME VM on VPC2007:

Here's a cleaner one:

And my Windows 98 VM:

• win32 has a leak of an elite OS that only Satya's workstation is authorized to run: Windows 2000 Professional x64 Edition from the internal development branch.
    All of his invasive spying tools are preinstalled which means that he can drop in on a different win10 home peon's facebook conversation every day. They've got UEFI/GPT, desktop composition and Firefox 60 ESR working too. :p

And they even got Synaptic package manager ported to win32 as well... oh wait this is just Debian-based Q4OS 3.7 with the XPQ4 interface pack to give it to the look of win2k.
    I recommend it.

• @win32 said:
    win32 has a leak of an elite OS that only Satya's workstation is authorized to run: Windows 2000 Professional x64 Edition from the internal development branch.
    All of his invasive spying tools are preinstalled which means that he can drop in on a different win10 home peon's facebook conversation every day. They've got UEFI/GPT, desktop composition and Firefox 60 ESR working too. :p

And they even got Synaptic package manager ported to win32 as well... oh wait this is just Debian-based Q4OS 3.7 with the XPQ4 interface pack to give it to the look of win2k.
    I recommend it.

Hey how did you get that working?

• edited June 2019

It's not terribly difficult as Q4OS (https://q4os.org/) is quite easy to install (though it takes over 2 hours on a 5400 rpm drive) then I downloaded the full XPQ4 package (https://xpq4.sourceforge.io/) and installed it.

It's pretty much running as root (just need to use sudo in the terminal) so it does feel slightly more like win2k in practice than other Linux distros.

It will never beat the real thing though. :disappointed:

• I have to say, this does tickle my fancy. I do have a lot of nostalgia for 2000 and it was the first version of Windows I could say I really liked, even out of the box. But it really shows its age any time I've tried to use it and I always thought, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a modern OS with this interface? Maybe even Linux based?" and look at that, someone made it and I didn't even know.

• That's pretty cool. I'm gonna have to try it on my laptop. Thanks for sharing that.

• Yeah, old, but it's good.

• Here's one of mine:

• it's the wm, not the actual pc