Windows 98 Second Edition

edited November 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows 98 Second Edition

Read the full story here

Comments

• I have an old IBM PC with a Windows 98SE sticker on it that says "IBM©" under it. I want to outfit my PC with the original OEM version of Windows 98. Which ISO do I select?

• OEM, Retail, and Upgrade CDs normally all contain the exact same thing, with the only difference being the license type. Once installed, it doesn't matter.

• i have an old toshiba satellite 210CS laptop with a windows 95 sticker but it runs windows 98 SE operating system

• Windows 98 Second Edition [Polish]
    the file is missing "scanprog.exe"
    added from the English version
    installs up to half ... at the first reboot it does not start
    tested on VMWare and VirtualBox
    found another ISO online, it works perfectly!

I'd like to know how some users below have been able to install it :-)

• It could be as simple as selecting different options or having a different configuration. If you have a link to a complete unmodified ISO, please PM it to me. Thanks.

• The Japanese 98SE image on WWP was a bad dump; WIN98\ only, no extras directory, but most fatally, it omitted the PC-98 installation directory. Boot disks were also missing, and the image was created in 2010.

I've replaced with an authentic dump from a retail image, that's been tested on a PC-98 system. Currently on ricky only ATM, will have to manually sync over to other mirrors. I need to work on mirror pushing tools....

• edited November 2017

I've downloaded Windows 98 Second Edition [Japanese] (Retail).

As you know, Japanese Windows 98SE Retail package was released as both DOS/V (PC Compatible) and PC-98 (NEC PC-9800 series)
    Boot disk for PC compatible image seems to be ok, but Boot Disk for NEC seems to be modified and ISO image for NEC is still missing.

Anyway, this seems to be nice collection.

• Thanks calvin! Keep in mind that not only have files been added, but crufty files have been removed as well. So all changes need to reflect on the other mirrors.

• PC-98 and DOS/V share the disk on 9x. WIN98 is the DOS/V folder and WIN98N is the PC-98 folder.

Boot disk might have been modified on accident by my friend, now that I think of it.

• Wonderful site. Never expected to find all version of Windows 98 nicely listed and freely available to download.

• ¿Do you have a Windows 98 OEM iso (no retail) in spanish?

• Windows 98 SE Update (FE to SE) is not an upgrade disc setup says

• Neither serial works for me on Windows 98SE Retail Full English

• How do I take an ISO Image (The OEM Full) and put it onto a CD so I can boot it. When I try to burn it on the cd, it says there is an error, and it won't let me.

• @djdave said:
    Neither serial works for me on Windows 98SE Retail Full English

Go to the software section and find the serial thread. It has thousands, maybe millions of product keys.

• edited April 2018

@Jorge Gorga we do not yet, sorry.

• HPKDT-WBTV8-V27YK-3MVFW-6P89J Works for English retail.

• Full By the way.

• Just wondering if there is a solution to this...
    I downloaded the OEM full in English, (since it is the only bootable version) and when I put it in the cd drive and turned on the computer (which has a blank hard drive inserted) nothing happened. Please help

• edited April 2018

@owenrichmond11 said:
    Just wondering if there is a solution to this...
    I downloaded the OEM full in English, (since it is the only bootable version) and when I put it in the cd drive and turned on the computer (which has a blank hard drive inserted) nothing happened. Please help

Is the computer booting from the CD? or did you burn it improperly? (i.e just put the ISO (the file) in the CD?) are you using proper burning software? is the CD read-writable??

• @owenrichmond11 said:
    Just wondering if there is a solution to this...

If your computer has over 1GB RAM or a fast CPU (about 2.1ghz), forget it, because that is way too high for Windows 9x to deal with.

• I guess I am not aware how to do the process, I just put the OEM Full on a cd.dvd. Do I need a special type of disk to burn the OEM on to?

• I tried to use ImgBurn and it said it was an invalid file type

• Please specify which 98se download you are having problems with.

• I am having problems with the OEM Full English version

• The download looks fine to me. My copy of ImgBurn has no problem with the ISO file.

• @SomeGuy said:
    The download looks fine to me. My copy of ImgBurn has no problem with the ISO file.

It won't even let me burn/write to the disc

• @owenrichmond11 said:
    It won't even let me burn/write to the disc

I assume you've extracted the ISO file out of the 7z file you've downloaded? If so, what file manager did you use to extract it? chances are you're using either an outdated version of 7-Zip or a different archiver with limited 7z support.

What disc are you trying to burn it to? IIRC some ISOs can be picky enough to not want to burn on anything besides the medium it was designed for (in this case: CD-R).