Windows 98 Second Edition

Comments

• @Warrior Mage
    Use 86Box or PCem instead.
  • @jonirob
    No, the problem is not with the virtualisation software. The problem is with the iso file as it misses out certain files. I need to know a solution of how to completely finish the setup with these missing files without any errors.
  • edited November 2020
    None of the ISOs are missing files. You are probably trying to run setup from the CD but don't have a real mode DOS CD-ROM driver installed on the hard drive, so it can't find the CD during the second phase of the setup. That method of setup usually only works for users that already have DOS/Windows 3.x.

When installing on a blank hard drive, you must copy the Win98 or Win95 folder to a folder on the hard drive, and run setup from there.
  • warrior mage, what is your processor? AMD Ryzen chipsets cant handle windows 98 in a virtual machine, especially vmware
  • Best operating system ever designed. Can't find a fault. Download this and nothing else.
  • Well there was one fault... the "integration" of IE into the shell!
  • Thankfully 98lite exists to correct that mistake.

Microsoft really should have just bundled IE by default and allowed people to uninstall it either during setup or after installation. But they wouldn't have had 98% of the internet use IE. (The Windows Desktop Update should never have required IE, all of it could be implemented with no web browser at all)

The other fault was continuing to use the aging, unstable, non-portable 9x code (although it had far better DOS compatibility than NT or 2000).
  • Microsoft had to stay with the DOS based Windows code base if they wanted existing software to keep running.

Back in the 3.0 days, the idea was to replace Windows with their new NT product. In the Windows 2.0 days, they wanted to replace Windows with OS/2. Back in the DOS 2.x days, they wanted to replace DOS with Xenix. So keep in mind they actually moved fairly quickly after 98. When Windows ME was released, it was crystal clear to everyone that it was the end of the line.

For running DOS software, or VxD based Windows software, 98SE is typically the best for the job.
  • Yep, exactly. Compatibility for many older DOS and Win16 wasn't very good (i.e. no sound on DOOM and other important network testing applications :tongue: ) on NT until XP - and even then performance was not perfect because it wasn't fully native, unlike 9x, which was fully 16-bit under the hood. (And the IA-64/amd64 versions never had NTVDM at all)

• edited December 2020
    Could "Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full)" have it's content renamed (zip and iso) to reflect that it's OEM?

It's currently just "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition.7z".
  • Unfortunately renaming it would break the IPFS link, and I don't know how to properly add new/changed items to IPFS.
  • I have Windows 98 running on DosBox-X, using the installation instructions provided;

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide:Installing-Windows-98

While this works for me, YMMV

Joe
  • One Tip: use PCem or 86box Instead of VirtualBox or other virtualisation softwares for a better Gaming experience.
  • Cortex Cortexified only for select games. keep in mind that PCem/86box are emulators wheras something like VMware is a hypervisor
    oh yeah never use virtualbox, VMware is always better
  • Guys my Windows 98 SE is crashing. It is one of those 'Windows Protection Error' crashes. Please Help!
    (And btw i am running HyperV as my VM)
  • And to add to that, there is nothing else there. All it says exactly is 'Windows Protection Error. Please restart your computer.'
  • @SomeoneInteresting821
    Try using an emulator like 86Box or PCem instead of HyperV.
  • The OEM just won't download (using the topmost one), it'll download using IPFS, but it's just a .7z file that refuses to open. I have used the IPFS client suggested, but it does nothing. Please fix.
  • The mirror links should work fine as long as you are using Palemoon, Firefox, or something besides Google Crumb. Please see this announcement:
    https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/12742/google-chrome-bug-with-winworld-downloads#latest

Many of the IPFS links, on the other hand, seem to be intermittently failing. That is not our system so there is nothing we can do about it. It is kind of like bit torrent so it relies on other systems to share bandwith. The cloudflair gateway link, basically uses someone else's sever to act as a client for regular http users. We have no control over how congested it is or how they throttle bandwidth.

The entire internet is falling apart.
  • edited February 2021
    I am planning to upload a collection of 98SE versions to archive.org. Because of the desire to verify each ISO, I've recently D/Led the relevant ones from WW to confirm all the various sources.

And I had no issues using Brave browser and the direct (non IPFS) link.

The hash for 98SE OEM Full is:
    Size: 655591424 bytes (625 MiB)
    SHA1: FA040CD3F7FD472E9612B1721BC72D7B82538450

EDIT: And literally, this just came in the mail:
  • This I mean:
  • I've been futzing around with 98 SE builds, and have come to the realization that somebody says something a long time ago, and then it becomes gospel.
    So I've been buying ISOs to help educate me and resolve some issues.

It turns out that just as full & upgrade each having a Retail and OEM counterpart, there is also a FE (First Edition) to SE (Second Edition) in Retail and also OEM.

Name: EN_WIN98SE_112_RET_Stepup_FE_to_SE_X05-04909.iso
    Size: 652218368 bytes (622 MiB)
    SHA1: 6315102DAEC2C629D616F300F1CE93D3960BC975

Name: EN_WIN98SE_116_OEM_Stepup_FE_to_SE_X04-83396.iso
    Size: 652204032 bytes (621 MiB)
    SHA1: 0B3E359C5CAF3F498417E426FA44268AB4745E20

The first one can be found at WinWorld here:
    https://winworldpc.com/download/417858c2-a118-c39a-11c3-a4e284a2c3a5

There are 3 key ways of identifying one from the other:
    1. SHA1 value
    2. Inner Ring code
    3. "Type" (112 vs 116) Which is found in SETUPX.DLL

SHA1 shouldn't need any further explaining. "Inner Ring Code(IRC)" maybe does. It's a value - sometimes very similar to, but rarely exactly the same - as the Xxx.xxxxx value on the face of the CD. It is printed near the hub, and uniquely identifies each Microsoft compilation.

The simplest way I can state this is: for a CD that has a particular IRC, no matter what is printed on the face, it will always have the same SHA1 value.

Note: These ISOs were created with WinImage, which never fails me. The SHA1 values turn up in several places using Google, but are sometimes mis-labeled as "Upgrade" or "Companion Disk".

Imageburn, while I'm sure is a better all around tool does the classic "ovedump" creating ISOs that don't align with Microsoft's own ISO methods.

• Just as an experiment, I compared dumps made from a couple of CDs made with both WinImage (an older version) and ImgBurn (the version on Winworld). Oddly the WinImage ones came out slightly larger with a bit more zero padding. (But otherwise identical).

Padding has been such a headache over the years, I'm not going to worry much about that, but if you see any specific problems with anything that needs to be changed or added, please say so. At the very least, I can add notes to the download entry.
  • 98 SE retail full key HMYYW-XX24C-G244V-J7KQH
  • "Padding has been such a headache over the years, I'm not going to worry much about that, but if you see any specific problems with anything that needs to be changed or added, please say so. At the very least, I can add notes to the download entry."

yup. Not interested in some purity mission, just trying to get some consistent results. I'm not going to do much "checking" on stuff. I have an interest in Office 2K, Win 98 SE, and not much else.

I'm also not going to use some archaic tool (like a certain other site requires) - which may explain why I will never have ftp access there. :D
  • japanese version does not work due to "shell32.dll was not found" error.
  • On AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS processor, neither VirtualBox 6.1 nor VMWare Workstation 16 Player cannot install the image.
  • @japanese use 86box or PCem they work with windows 98
  • "86box" and "PCem" does not work well on my machine. DOSBox-X was a good choice which @JoeC4281 mentioned.
  • I Chose Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full), What is the product key