Desktop/Network Diagrams thread

123457»

Comments

• There is a severe lack of GNOME in this thread.

• I was not kidding when I said I use CDE on Debian Linux.

It's very fast, very simple and easy to use and pretty much I don't see myself using any other window manager because this does everything I want.
    I am quite happy it is still being updated. Some recent updates enabled the ability to use jpegs and pngs as the backdrop. I haven't figured out which method to save a png, it results in a blue-only colored background. Jpeg works fine though. Still have to save it to the exact resolution of the screen pre-xp style.
    Only problem is systemd is a total meanie and doesn't allow dtlogin daemon to start automatically. So I'll probably have to create a new systemd script to handle that.
    Nonetheless, when Windows 8.1 series falls out of all support I will move onto this setup.

Now to set it to DE-DE. I know I compiled it for DE-DE loc.

• Ahh, that looks wonderful. I'm gonna have to try and get that up and running one of these days, perhaps in a VM just to figure out its quirks before I start running it on real hardware.

• Well, the biggest flaw with CDE is its lack of thread control. If you happen to have a process that goes rogue consuming hefty resources and then goes unresponsive, the whole system will be bogged down. For instance, script-heavy sites on a web browser.

• edited February 2020

My 14" T61 with Windows XP Pro. I customized it with the Energy Blue theme from XP Media Center Edition:

">

• edited May 2020

Yes, my mobile daily driver is now dual booting Windows 98SE and Windows XP. My T60 has backlight issues so this will do. The only real issue is the lack of RAM.

Tried Q4OS (with Trinity) but I found it idled at about 350 MB of RAM so NT 5.x is now a better legacy option than modern Linux. I really wanted Windows 2000 or Server 2003 but the former was out due to a lack of RAM to run multiprocess browser sessions (to deal with occasional crashes) and the latter was rejected by my wireless router (probably due to older crypto libraries than POSReady 2009).

• edited July 2020
    My new NUC running Fedora 32 with GNOME:

• Corel Linux 1.0 desktop (1999), running in PCem.

• Debian 10 with MATE running with 16GiB of RAM and a 160GB SSD.
  • Win95 (1995) running in PCem:

My daily driver's desktop:

• edited December 2020
    Here's one I posted on Hypnos:

I imaged the drive in my old Toshiba Tecra (I believe it's a Tecra 8000) during the process of upgrading it to another drive as I needed the original tecra drive for another project. And since it was imaged, I figured, what the hell? Why not load it in a VM?

It boots so fast the XP logo doesn't even load and it's been a hell of a trip down memory lane.

But without doing anything to it, XP is basically useless. Nothing loads in IE and I can't connect via SMB to anything on my network since SMB1.0 was killed off a while ago. But my Novell server works great. :tongue:
  • edited December 2020
    This is the current desktop of my 2011 27" iMac. It has an Intel Core i5-2400 CPU, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, a 500GB SSD, a 1TB HDD, and a broken AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GPU. I love this thing, and I was fortunate enough to get it for free earlier this year thanks to the broken GPU.

This computer is the only one I own with a 1440p display, and it is nice. The only thing I don't like about the display is how hot it runs. At times it has gotten to be more than 60 degrees, and that's pretty hot when you are sitting in front of it.

• edited March 2021

Work in progress. I need to play with the active desktop a bit more.
  • My current daily programming laptop (XFCE + Conky). Although I haven't enough time yet to fix network meter issues for now